Herbal Medicine and the Human Microbiome: A New Rationale for the Most Ancient System of Healing

with Peter Conway, March 28-29, 2015

Course Information

Did you know that as human beings only 5% of our cells are actually human and that the other 95% are microbial? The human microbiome is the complex network of micro-organisms that lives on us and within us. Perhaps the best known part of the microbiome is the “gut flora” but we also have a flora in every other part of our bodies – including our lungs and even our cerebrospinal fluid! A growing appreciation of the microbiome over the last few years is revolutionising our understanding of human health and illness with profound implications for the prevention and treatment of autoimmune diseases, childhood disorders and even cancer. In this seminar Peter will introduce you to the human microbiome in all its richness and radical implications before moving on to explore the ways in which herbal medicine can be utilised to influence it. Peter will show how herbs are ideally suited to adapting the microbiome; he will introduce the concept of herbs as “microbial-modulators” and he will make the case for plant medicine as a core solution in a post-antibiotic world. This will be a truly leading-edge seminar, full of thrilling new ideas and information – come and enjoy what promises to be an exhilarating experience!

Course Instructor

Peter is a medical herbalist committed to radical education. He believes that there is an urgent need for practical instruction in natural health care to be underpinned by rigorous criticality and opened out by daring connectivity. His teaching style has elements of art performance and philosophical high-wire act as well as down-to-earth grounding in research and clinical experience. Peter relishes putting so-called “conventional” and “alternative” perspectives up against each other to see what emerges as the two interact. An advocate of applying complexity theory in the practice of medicine Peter also teaches from this perspective – he intends to facilitate encounters where new properties can emerge and says: “I teach in order to learn”.

Peter is a Visiting Professor at Pacific Rim College and practices at his clinic in Tunbridge Wells, England where he specialises in supporting people with chronic and complex conditions. He is a Fellow of the National Institute of Medical Herbalists and a Fellow and former President of the College of Practitioners of Phytotherapy. He was a Director of the European Herbal and Traditional Medicine Practitioners Association and his political work includes being involved in drafting the National Professional Standards in Herbal Medicine and sitting on the UK Department of Health Steering Group on the regulation of herbal medicine and acupuncture. His teaching experience at colleges of herbal and traditional medicine is extensive and his latest book was published in 2011 – The Consultation in Phytotherapy.

Course Dates

Saturday and Sunday, March 28-29, 2015, 9:00am-5:00pm

Course Tuition

Regular – $300 (Early Bird – $285, until January 15)
Student – $275 (Early Bird – $250, until January 15)
PRC Alumni – $285 (Early Bird – $265, until January 15)
*PRC diploma students will receive 1 WHS academic credit for this workshop.

Course Registration

To register, please click on the registration button below. Full payment is due at time of registration to confirm placement in the course. Payment can be made via MasterCard or Visa, debit, cash and cheque.

Withdrawal Policy

For course withdrawals submitted in writing or in person 30 days or more before the start of the course, registrants will receive a full tuition refund less a $40 non-refundable registration fee. For course withdrawals submitted in writing or in person more than 14 days but less than 30 days before the start of the course, registrants will receive a 50% tuition refund. Without exception, no refunds will be given for course withdrawals less than 14 days before the start of the course.

Share this:

Copyright ©2019 Pacific Rim College. All Rights Reserved. Site by EmpressAve | Legal